Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Martin D !8


Mahogany - it doesn't sound anything like rosewood.



I once saw a link online where a luthier was saying that tonewoods were a scam, and that he didn't think that anyone could hear the difference between mahogany and rosewood, so forth and so on.

I'd never been so shocked in my life!

I can not just hear the difference between mahogany and rosewood - I can hear the difference between East Indian Rosewood and Brazilian Rosewood.  It's inconceivable to me that a luthier ...someone who should be an audiophile of the highest order - can't hear the difference between mahogany and rosewood.

I'm thinking that the man had spent too much time running saws and none of it with ear protection.  How could he claim to even know what made for a good sounding guitar if he couldn't even hear the difference between mahogany and rosewood?  I'm hoping that he's got a fine eye for wood grans, and knows the specs that typically generate a great sounding guitar - as if he doesn't, then his make of guitar or guitars that he makes for someone else - aren't going to be much good in the sound department.

Mahogany has such a distinctly different sound from rosewood that it's literally the defining characteristic as to whether someone buys mahogany, or rosewood - if it isn't, then you know then that someone is only shopping via their wallet, and not their ears.

Dumbest shit I've ever done was sell my D 18.  I've said that before, and lord willing and the creek don't rise, it'll be the dumbest shit I've ever done for years and years to come.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Laundry Detergent Coupons